Some countries require people to use a tax number when they are doing self-employed or freelance work, especially if the earnings exceed particular annual limits. Some countries do not. If you are an officially registered freelancer or self-employed, you will most likely know if you have one. If you are unsure whether you need one or not, we suggest that you speak to your local tax office or another official who can assist you in answering this question.

You will find a list of countries that use VAT numbers under the following link, along with their national specifications.

If you are 

  • self-employed / a freelancer and 
  • you have a tax number, 

then select "yes" and enter this number in the tax details section of your account. Select whether you are a small business or not. Save your changes.
If you are not
  • self-employed / a freelancer

then select "no" and leave the tax number field blank. Save your changes.